Sunday, July 4, 2010

Blog # 24 COME, LORD JESUS!

Blog # 24 COME, LORD JESUS! "Come, Lord Jesus!" are the words John uses to conclude the book of Revelation and the entire Bible. It is a beautiful prayer. Perhaps it would be good for us to reflect a little upon the possible meaning of John's words for each and all of us, what they actually mean or could mean in our everyday experience of life and death. Come, Lord Jesus! Just think what it might mean to us individually and as a community if Jesus were to appear in our neighborhood as He used to come and go in Jerusalem, Jericho, Ceparnaum and Bethany. If Jesus were to come into your home this evening what would this mean to you? What preparations would you like to make if you knew He was coming? What would you expect Him to say, and what would you say to Him? Yet in a very real sense Jesus IS already there! Wherever two or three are gathered in my name I am in the midst of them. Jesus is in our town. I was hungry, and you gave me to eat, sick and you visited me, homeless and you gave me shelter. As you did it to one of these the least of my brethren you did it to me. I am with you always even to the end of the world. Knowing the existence and to some extent thmeaning of the texts Iust gave we still tend to forget their meaning and practical application in our everyday experience. Come, Lord Jesus! If we really mean this prayer it would seem we would find ourselves aware of the Lord in a current personal way rather than in our memory wherever He could be found, in prayer, in Bible study, in the poor and the needy. Now I think we are dealing with the full meaning and application of John's concluding words in handing the Bible over to us. By failth we live not only in the presence of Jesus but united with Him. "Live on in me as I do in you....I am the vine, you are the branches". (Jn 15; 4,f). It is the plan of God and the desire of Jesus no only to have gone on before us, to live around us, but within the hearts of all who believe! Come, Lord Jesus! Be with us and within or minds and hearts. Instruct us in Your ways. May our desires be Your desires. May we share Your everlastng joy. Help us in Your presence and Your lovecarry out the Father's plan for us each day. Thank You, Lord Jesus! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment