Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Blog # 176 God's Life In Us

Blog # 176 God's Life in Us In view of the infinity of God and our limited human capacities we recognize that all we think and say may express truth about God but only by way of analogy. In the light of this I have found it helpful to make use of analogies in my effort to know and clarify what has been revealed to us in human terms by God. Here is an analogy that helped me understand and appreciate the reality of the indwelling of the Risen Jesus in those who believe: suppose I were a Philly fan. I share the joy of my team when I rejoice in their winning games. I don't actually bat a two-bgger with them or catch a sizzling line drive. But on such occasions in sharing their joy I share their life. I am united with them and thay are in union with me Here are some Scripture texts that I have also found helpful in thinking about the reality of Sanctifying Grace. Its nature: Jn 3: 1 ff. - rebirth, new life Jn 10:19 Jesus tells us " I came that they may have life, and have it to the full". Jn 6: 35. " I myself am the bread of life." Jn 6: 47 ff. he who believes has eternal life." Its effects: makes us children of God and brothers and sisters in Christ. Jn 1: 11f: To his own he came, yet his own did not accept him. Any who did accept him he empowers to become children of God. These are they who believe in his name, who were begotten not by blood (war), nor by carnal desire (marriage) nor by man's willing it (assocoatopns, clubs, political parties etc such as K of C, American Legion) , but by God. Rom 8: 14 ff: All who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God...The Spirit himself gives witness to our spirit that we are children of God. 1 Jn 3: 1 : See what love the Father has bestowed on us in letting ut be called children God!, Yet that is what we are. Divine indwelling: Jn 143: 23. Anyone who loves me will be true to my word, and my Father will love him; we will come to him and make our dwelling place with him. Jn 15: 1-5. Live on in me as I do in you. No more than a branch can bear fruit of itself apart from the vine, can you bear fruit apart from me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Gal 2:20 ...and the life I live now is not my own; Christ is living in me. Col 2:13 God gave you new life in company with Christ. Cor 5: 17 If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. Then John expresses his purpose in writing his Gospel: Jn 20:30f : Jesus performed many other signs (miracles) as well - signs not recorded here. But these have been recorded to help you believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, so that through this faith YOU MAY HAVE LIFE IN HIS NAME.

No comments:

Post a Comment