Saturday, July 19, 2014

Blog #312 A treasure

 Blog #312 A treasure
           
   If, one day this week, while digging in the back yard, I found a million dollars wrapped in a package, you could use a bit of it, right?  Well, actually about twenty years ago I did find more than a million dollars, and I want to share it with you.
       
                In the case of the million dollars, I would have had to be digging, to be able to recognize a dollar, and to be able to count to a million in order to know what I had done and what had happened in my life.  So with what I actually discovered there.  I needed to be looking, searching, working, open, focused, available, and other possible descriptive words in order for the incident to occur.  I would have had to be able to recognize a value that was beyond sight, sound, touch, taste and smell to recognize the value I had found.  This is just as I would have had to recognize what money can buy to recognize what I had found if I had found a million dollars, in itself just paper, but for someone who knows, a much more valuable realty than paper.

                What I found was an egg.  A gold egg?  No, just an egg.  I found it in a nest I had set up in a pen where my six young chickens lived. The next morning I was preparing to have it for breakfast and I began to think about the whole incident while waiting for the egg to boil.  What do you think I found when I cracked it open?  Right, an egg, just like so many other eggs I had for breakfast in the past.  But as I reflected further this egg was beginning to be special.

                   Size, shape, color, texture, and taste were very much the same as any egg.  Egg white, egg yolk right in the center.  The same.  The difference began to show in my response to the egg.  I began to ask what it really was, beyond what I saw, the why of it, and how it came to be.  A prefect shape, the color of the yolk was just right, the wonderful taste of a fresh egg.  What all went into it was the question on my mind.

                  Time, corn, earth, water, sunshine, and grass all must have had something to do with my egg.  But none of these, nor all of them together could explain sufficiently the fact the egg was so much like all other eggs in size and shape, color and taste.  None of the chickens in that particular pen had ever laid an egg before.  They were all eggs themselves just a few months ago. Who taught the mother hen how to make an egg?  Yes, the corn and the grass water and sunshine had something to do with it, but not all, nor in themselves.  To think there was not some reality beyond these would have been like receiving a package in the mail from someone who loves you in Chicago and thinking it originated merely in the local post office.  So I let my mind be touched by God, and began to imagine and praise the Designer, Gift-giver, Someone-Who-Loves-Me, Creator, Wisdom, Goodness, Presence, My God and Father!

                     I had discovered far more than a million dollars in that egg. Scripture texts began to come to mind.  “Look to the birds of the air”…and to chickens.  “The Father cares for them…how much more you?”  God is the Designer of chickens, eggs, and us.

                      May we receive many eggs in our life!  May all that we call our own remind us of the Lord.  All of creation is on loan to us.  But God owns it.  May our eggs give us more than vitamins. May they also nourish our souls!  Enjoy your breakfast! 

No comments:

Post a Comment