Saturday, October 25, 2014

Blog # 387 CHARLIE

Blog # 387    CHARLIE

           "Hello!  I'm Doug's brother, Charlie."
          
           When Charlie introduced himself to me this way, Doug was sick with pneumonia in a County hospital in Kentucky.  I was the local Catholic Glenmary Pastor.  Before the week was over, and  Doug's pneumonia cleared up, I got to know Charlie fairly well. In the course of our conversations he told me he didn't feel quite ready for it yet, but he wanted to be a Catholic before he died.


            That Fall, Charlie himself was in the hospital with a serious kidney infection. I thought of what he had said about being a Catholic before  he died, but the doctors were not sure he was dying.  I did not want to scare him into the Church, or fail to recognize the power of God's grace working within his own conscience, so we talked of life rather than death.

             He seemed to be getting weaker every day. I talked of patience and generosity and trust in God's love. He talked of getting well. On the Friday afternoon of Charlie's second week in the hospital, he was conscious only off and on.

            That evening, as usual. I attended one of the local high school basketball games.  At half-time I noticed Charlie's doctor in the stands, and went to talk with him. He told me that Charlie would not make it.  He thought Charlie might die that very night.  I left the game and went directly to the hospital.

             Charlie was sleeping.  I roused him by saying, very close to his ear, "Charlie, Charlie!

            "Uh-huh,"
             
            "I'm  Fr. Charlie, the Pastor at  St. Joe's.  Do you remember me?"

             "Uh-huh."

               "When we first met, Charlie, you said you wanted to be a Catholic before  you died.  Does that still hold?"

                 "Uh-huh."

                 I still do not know just why it occurred to me to go further, but I am grateful that I did.  "Charlie, you've said uh-huh three times now, and that's good.  But to show that you really mean it, and that you are really free, could you just say 'no'?:

                    With difficulty he slowly moved  his head in my direction.  His eyes almost opened. His lips smiled.  "Nnno".

                     "Thanks, Charlie, thanks!"  I soaked a wash cloth in water and Baptized him right there.  He died about an hour and a half later, Charlie still, but with a new name as well, Jesus! I was 31 years old.  Now I am almost 87.  If anyone would ask if priesthood has meaning and value for me, I think I would think of Charlie to begin with, and the answer would be clear.  Thank You, Lord!

                      

                   

            






































































































           Charlie was unconscious. I roused him by saying very close to his ear "Charlie.  Charlie!"

           "Uh-huh."

            "I'm the Pastor at St. Joe's.  Do you  remember me?"

            "Uh-huh."

              "When we first met, Charlie, you said you wanted to be a Cathooic before you died.  Does that still hold?"

             "Uh-huh."

            I still do not kow just wdhy it occurred to me to go frther, bt I am graeful that I did. "Charli, you've said uh-huh thre tmes ow, and that is good. But to show that y ouo eallymean it, and that  you are really fre, cold you just say 'no'?" 

            He slowly moved his head in my direction, and his eyesalmost opened.   His lips smiled. "Nnno.
              "Thanks, Charlie,  thanks!".  I soaked a wash cloth in water and Baptized him right there. He died about an hour and a half later, Charlie still, but with  a new name as well, Jesus!  I was 31 years old.  Now I am almost 87. and if anyone would ask me the priesthood still has meaning and value for me I think would think of Charlie and Baptism, and Heaven, and the answer would be clear.  Thank You, Lord!
   
 
           

No comments:

Post a Comment