Thursday, August 14, 2014

Blog # 335 Come, Lord Jesus !

Blog # 335  Come, Lord Jesus !

                  "Come, Lord Jesus !" are the words John uses in his conclusion of the  Book of Revelation and the entire Bible. It is a beautiful prayer. Perhaps it would be good for us to reflect a little upon the possible meaning and application  of John's words for each and all of us, what they actually mean or could men in our everyday experience of life and death. 

                     Come, Lord Jesus!   Just think what it might mean to us individually and as a community if Jesus were to appear in Cincinnati as He used to appear in Jerusalem Jericho  and Bethany.  If Jesus were to come into your home this evening, what would that mean to you?   What preparations would  you make for His coming, what would you say to Him, and what would you expect him to say to you?  And yet, in a very real sense Jesus is already present wherever we may be.

                    "Wherever two or three are gathered in  my name, there am I in the midst of them."   Jesus is in our town. "I was hungry and you gave me something  to eat, sick and  you visited me, homeless and you gave me shelter.  As long as you did it to one of these the least of my brethren you did it to me." "I am with you always, even to the end of the world." 

                   Though familiar with the texts I have just given, we are still in danger of forgetting  or overlooking their meaning and practical applications in our everyday experience. 

                    Come, Lord Jesus.  If we really mean this prayer it would seem we would find ourselves seeking and finding the Lord wherever He could be found, in prayer, in Bible study, in the poor and the needy, in our conscience and in our relationships with one another.
                    And yet there is more. By faith we live not only in the presence of Jesus but  united with Him in our life of  Sanctifying Grace. "I am the vine and you are the branches." The fifteenth Chapter of  John  has this beautiful way of saying it: "Live on in me as I do in you." 

                     Come, Lord Jesus. Be with us and within us.  Instruct  us in your ways. Help us day by day to work out uniquely in each of us our Father's plan for holiness and salvation. Help us believe and be aware of how you are present also in those around us. Help us to hear your call and command to love them as you have loved us, to hope and seek for them the peace and joy we receive from you.. (Jn. 13: 34-35; 15:12,17.  Thank You, Lord Jesus, Amen !   

No comments:

Post a Comment