Monday, June 28, 2010

Blog 17 Love in the Bible

Blog 17 Love in the Bible I thought it might be helpful this week to assemble some of the various texts in the Bible which speak in some way of love. They are not given in any particular order. On different occasions I have found it a grace to spend a bit of time just reading them slowly and reflectively, stopping when it occurs to me and letting the texts speak for themselves. They often say things I never heard them say before. Sometimes in the time I have available I only read one or two of them. Sometimes in the same amount of time I read several before I pause. Since I know GOD IS LOVE, they all speak to me of God. ** ** ** 1 Jn 4: 18 - 21 Love has no room for fear, rather, perfect love casts out all fear. And since fear has to do with punishment, love is not yet perfect in one who is afraid. We on our part love God because he loved us. If anyone says, “My love is fixed on God”, and hates his brother, he is a liar… The commandment we have from him is this: whoever loves God must also love his brother. Gen. 29:20 So Jacob served seven years for Rachel, yet they seemed to him but a few days, because of the greatness of his love. Proverbs 27:5 Better an open rebuke than a love that remains hidden. Luke 6:27 Love your enemies. Luke 6:32 Sinners also love those who love them. Jn 14:31 …I love the Father. Jn 15:13 …greater love than this no one has… Jn 15:9 …abide in my love… Rom 8:35ff What shall separate us from the love of God? 1 Cor 2:9 Eye has not seen, ear has not heard, nor has it dawned on man what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Jn 3:18 Let us love in deed and in truth, and not merely talk about it. Jude 21 Keep yourselves in the love of God. Rev 3:19 Such as I love, I rebuke and chastise. Mat 19:19 Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. Mark 12:31; Gal 5:14; James 2:8. James 1:12 …he will receive the crown of life the Lord has promised to those who love Him. Jn 13:34f I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you shall love one another. This is how all will know you are my disciples, your love for one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment